Pearls are a soft organic substance that should be treated with care.
1. Store your pearls separately in a soft cloth. Do not store them in plastic.
2. Keep them away from heat.
3. Do not let them come into contact with hair spray, make up, perfume or lotions. Pearls are porous and chemicals can cause damage or discolouring; however, the natural oils from your body can increase their lustre - so wear them!
4. Keep pearls clean by wiping with a soft, clean cloth.
5. If your pearls are on a silk thread, they will need restrung periodically, depending on how frequently they are worn.
6. A good rule to follow is that pearls are the last thing that you put on before going out and the first thing that you take off upon returning home.